Seville's April Fair is one of the most eagerly awaited and emblematic festivals in the Andalusian city..
Every year, thousands of people come to enjoy the lively atmosphere, the flamenco music and the typical food of the region.
With its history dating back to the beginning of the 20th century, the Feria de Abril has become one of the most important events in the city. and a unique experience for all those who visit.
Below you will find a brief guide about this particular festival.
When is the Feria de Abril held in Seville?
The April Fair is held every year in April, just after Easter, and lasts a whole week. More specifically, the Seville April Fair in 2023 lasts from Sunday 23rd to Saturday 29th April.
While the pescaito dinner prior to the inauguration of the Seville Fair will be held on Saturday 22 April.
During these days, the city is transformed and filled with life, colour and joy. At the fairgrounds, visitors can enjoy a large number of stands.where you can taste typical regional dishes and drinks, and dance to the sound of flamenco music until dawn.
Things not to miss if you go to the Feria de abril in Seville
Entering a booth
The "casetas" are the heart of the Feria de Abril. They are covered spaces decorated with lights, flowers and flags that host families and friends who come to enjoy the festival. Each hut is unique in its decoration and style, and all offer a different experience.
Some are more traditional and specialise in flamenco music and typical food, while others are more modern and offer a more relaxed and relaxed atmosphere.
There are two types of booths: public boothsThey belong to associations, districts..., and are freely accessible; the private onesTo enter one of these, our recommendation is that you make friends with a Sevillian in order to live the most real experience.
In any case, all the booths are a perfect place to meet new peopleenjoy the music and the food, and spend an unforgettable evening.
During the April Fair, flamenco music is an omnipresent elementThe flamenco music can be heard in almost all the "casetas" and public places in the city. In addition, the fair is a perfect place to see the best flamenco artists of the region and the country.
Taste the rebujito and the local gastronomy of sevilla
The typical food of the region is another key element of the Feria de Abril. At the booths, visitors can taste typical dishes of the regionThe best of all is the gazpacho, salmorejos, fried fish, Iberian ham and, in the early hours of the morning, the traditional churros with chocolate.
In addition, it is possible to try traditional beverages such as fino, a dry white wine from Jerez, and rebujito, a refreshing drink made with fino and lemon. All these dishes and drinks are a fundamental part of Andalusian culture and gastronomy and are therefore an integral part of the Feria de Abril experience.
Get dressed up for the fair
Choose your best clothes, no trainers or shorts, the important thing here is to be well groomed. It doesn't matter if you don't have a nice flamenco dress, that always helps to go to the Feria de Abril in Seville, but many booths may have a dress code. and require a jacket and tie for men and a suit for women.
Take a stroll around the fairgrounds and see the atmosphere.
If you are not from Seville and you don't know anyone from there, they will invite you to their stand. we advise you to go to the fairgrounds to walk around and see the atmosphere.
If you have friends in Seville, we don't recommend you to meet them on the front page.It's the first place that comes to mind but it's where everyone hangs out and it's hard to find your group of friends.
How to get to the Feria de Abril 2023 from Seville city centre?
Driving your own car can be chaotic and stressful. We always recommend the use of public transport, including:
- Buses with special lines for the fair starting from Prado de San Sebastián
- In Metro with the lines that run along: Blas Infante to get off near Calle Infierno; Parque de los Príncipes which will leave you near the attractions in Pascual Márquez; or from Plaza Cuba which will leave you a few minutes from La Portada.
- Taxi and alternative transport such as the use of VTC, Uber, Cabify or Bolt.
What to see in Seville beyond the Feria de Abril 2023?
For those who wish to see more than just the Feria de Abril, Seville offers a wealth of tourist attractions and historical sites worth visiting.
Here are some of the main sights to see during your visit to the city:
- Seville CathedralThis impressive Gothic cathedral is the third largest in the world and houses the tomb of the famous navigator Christopher Columbus.
- The Giralda: This ancient minaret is one of the most emblematic symbols of the city and offers breathtaking views of the city.
- The Alcazar: This fortified palace is one of the oldest buildings in the city and is known for its Mudejar architecture and beautiful gardens, as well as serving as the main location for the filming of Game of Thrones in Spain.
- The Santa Cruz neighbourhoodThis old Jewish quarter is one of the most picturesque places in the city and is full of narrow streets and typical Sevillian style houses.
- The Plaza de España: This impressive neo-Mudéjar building is one of the city's most popular tourist attractions and offers breathtaking panoramic views.
Excursions to Seville from Malaga
As we have already mentioned, going to the April fair in Seville is quite an experience. However, if you are in Malaga and you want to visit Seville during the month of April, enjoy in Seville with our day trips from Malaga:
In short, the Feria de Abril in Seville is a unique experience. which offers an authentic insight into the culture, music and food of Andalusia.
With its lively atmosphere, vibrant flamenco music and world-class gastronomy, the fair is one of the best ways to get to know a little more about this beautiful region of Spain.
So if you have the opportunity to visit the Feria de Abril in 2023, don't hesitate and do it.